August was the month when the schools (and nurseries) went back and social distancing was generally scrapped, leaving us all in a bit of a no-man’s-land where nobody was sure what sort of distancing was polite.
What I have read
In August I really powered through some audiobooks (four, in fact!). It’s amazing how much more I listen when I get really into a book.
- Katie Morag and the Wedding (Katie Morag #6) – Mairi Hedderwick
- Katie Morag and the Birthdays (Katie Morag #12) – Mairi Hedderwick
- Dilly’s Lass (Dilly’s Story #2) – Rosie Goodwin
- The Key to the Indian (The Indian in the Cupboard #5) – Lynne Reid Banks
- Confessions of a Curious Bookseller – Elizabeth Green
- Long Shadows (Elizabeth Cage #3) – Jodi Taylor
- The Bookshop of the Broken Hearted – Robert Hillman
- Three Bedrooms, One Corpse (Aurora Teagarden #3) – Charlaine Harris
- The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2*) – Carolyne Keene**
- The Mystery of the Ivory Charm (Nancy Drew #13*) – Carolyne Keene**
- The Bookshop on the Corner (Scottish Bookshop #1) – Jenny Colgan
- Black Mould (Rivers Of London Graphic Novel #3) – Ben Aaronovitch
And I’m currently reading:
- Going Green – Nick Spalding
- Night Witch (Rivers Of London Graphic Novel #2) – Ben Aaronovitch
- How to Argue With a Racist: History, Science, Race and Reality – Adam Rutherford
*This is the US numbering, the books weren’t published in the UK until some 40 years later, and they printed them in a different order.
** These were both written by the first Nancy Drew writer Mildred Wirt, also known as Mildred Wirt Benson.
What I have watched
- Hollyoaks, some more Mythbusters and Only Connect.
- I have also returned to the American show Hoarders which is on Amazon Prime.
- I watched the first episode of season 5 of True Blood before getting sidetracked by Hoarders.
- Our Tuesday night movies this month were: The Princes Diaries 1&2 and High School Musical 1&2.
- The Olympics, mostly the highlights show, and then the Paralympics highlights and The Last Leg.
What I have done
It has been another busy month as Brodie was off nursery and we had another week of annual leave.
We went to:
- Our new nature walk at Birnie & Gaddon lochs (again)
- The beach and beach-side park at Carnoustie, and the beach and park at Arbroath
- Craigtoun Country Park where we rode the miniature railway, the tractor train and Brodie had a go on the trampolines, plus we found a few of the Seven Dwarfs lurking about
- Tayport for what was supposed to be a short walk, which then turned into a longer walk and beach exploring and a picnic lunch at the harbour
Also this month:
- Brodie turned 4 so we had a party and I did some baking in advance (the birthday cake is my mum’s work, I don’t do sponges!)
- We carried on looking after the nursery plot (and eating the produce)
What I have bought
No Blytons but I did buy a very nice copy of Torridons’ Triumph by Marie Muir. I’ve had the second book in the series (Torridons’ Surprise) for years but have never read it as I like to read series in order!
What has your month looked like?