What I have read
The majority of what I read in December were audiobooks. I did entertain thoughts of finishing various books so that I could start 2023 without anything lingering on my unfinished list but it wasn’t to be.
What I have read:
- The Lighthouse Witches – CJ Cooke
- A Winter’s Wish for the Cornish Midwives (Cornish Midwife #3) – Jo Bartlett
- A Second Chance (Chronicles of St Mary’s #3) – Jodi Taylor
- A Trail Through Time (Chronicles of St Mary’s #4) – Jodi Taylor
- Christmas Present (Chronicles of St Mary’s #4.5) – Jodi Taylor
- Five Have a Mystery to Solve – reviewed here and here
- No Time Like the Past (Chronicles of St Mary’s #5) – Jodi Taylor
- Enid Blyton’s Christmas Stories – reviewed here
- Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
- The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin #1) – MC Beaton
- Christmas at the Borrow a Bookshop (Borrow a Bookshop #2) – Kiley Dunbar
- What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (Chronicles of St Mary’s #6) – Jodi Taylor
- Ships, Stings and Wedding Rings (Chronicles of St Mary’s #6.5) – Jodi Taylor
And I’m still working on:
- First Class Murder (Murder Most Unladylike #3) – Robin Stevens
- Enid Blyton’s Christmas Tales
- Hidden Figures – Margot Lee Shetterly
- Monarchy – David Starkey
- Paddington Goes to Town (Paddington #8) – Michael Bond
What I have watched
- Christmas films featured heavily – Home Alone 1, 2 & 3 (Brodie declared 3 was the best!), A Cinderella Story: Christmas Wish (terrible), Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Special, Planes, Trains and Automobiles (a Thanksgiving film, really, but of the season), and remake of Miracle on 34th Street.
- Other movies we watches were Glass Onion (aka Knives Out 2), Angel Has Fallen (the third and possibly most ridiculous Fallen movie)
- Other Christmas things were the Call the Midwife Christmas Special, a couple of episodes of Christmas Sugar Rush and Christmas Lego Masters (half-watched while putting together a Ghostbusters Playmobil Firehouse…)
- We have been watching Only Connect (there were a couple of new CHristmas specials for that, and two repeats. Even though we’d seen the repeated ones already – and only two years before – it didn’t help us!) and Richard Osman’s House of Games, and I’ve carried on with the Originals – now on season 3 – and George Clarke’s Amazing Spaces. I love some of the designs but there’s rarely any privacy! Could not live in many of them.
- Lastly we have been watching Willow the TV series as we like the movie. It’s nowhere near as good as the movie, though. It’s all young attractive people speaking like modern teenagers as imagined by middle-aged people and wearing ‘period’ clothing that’s clearly been bought in shops and had a few studs added to it.
What I have done
- Went to see Santa and make some Christmas ornaments (and feed the hungry ducks)
- Went in town to see the lights and tried curling
- Went out for hot chocolate and cake for my birthday
- Saw what the Elf got up to each night (and cleared up after him!)
- We had a week of sub-zero temperatures meaning that a few inches of snow stuck around, lots of hot chocolate was needed that week
- Saw Brodie perform as a robin in his school nativity
- Had a nice Christmas with family, and as I was off work the whole way through we were able to get together a few times for games and fun. And lots of cheese.
- We went for our first walk in ages, normally we are out every week but I think our last one was in October!
- One of my Christmas jigsaws and a fair bit of Lego building
What I have bought
I don’t usually treat myself in December but I found an issue of Enid Blyton’s Magazine that I didn’t have so I snapped that up. It was volume 6 issue 14, and with that I now only need six magazines to complete the collection.
I hope everyone reading had a good festive season!